In today’s Experimental Mind newsletter five articles, from Jeff Gothelf, Tom Kerwin, Jacob Singh, Ben Dressler and Experiment Nation. Plus … updated job opportunities and events.
Everything is handpicked and in one easy digestible email, so you can focus on running your experiments. Enjoy.
📰 What I’ve been reading this week
Jeff Gothelf on how to tame the hippo:
Every company makes decisions based on the highest paid person’s opinion. It turns out it’s just a hypothesis.
2. Funnels vs Mountains
We are all familiar with the conversion funnel. Tom Kerwin makes the case we should actually turn it around: it’s a mountain.
We can increase people’s motivation to climb the mountain by reducing the height, making the climb easier, or make the top of the mountain more desirable.
Last week the Experiment Nation organized their virtual conference with a diverse set of speakers with talks on all kinds of topics around experimentation. In case you’ve missed it, you can you can still get access to some of the sessions.
One of the biggest mistakes organizations make as they scale is they try to optimize for utilization. That’s a fancy way of saying “keeping everyone busy.”
Jacob Singh makes the case for building in slack.
5. Grow an experimentation culture at your company
Ben Dressler (former Spotify) shares his ideas in this short lecture series:
🚀 Job opportunities
This week’s featured jobs:
- Digital Marketer at ING, (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
- Full Stack Developer Experimentation at Booking.com (Amsterdam)
- Data Product Owner, Customer Experience at Vistaprint (remote EU)
- Experimentation Insights Director at Nike (Beaverton, US)
- Data Analyst Experimentation at bol.com (Utrecht, the Netherlands)
- Data Scientist at Bellingcat (remote EU)
And … there are another 11 opportunities on the job board.
📅 Upcoming events
This is a running list of upcoming events:
- Future Data (Oct 13, online)
- DDMA Dutch CRO Awards (Nov 4, Amsterdam)
- MIT Conference on Digital Experimentation (Nov 4-5, online)
- The Conference formerly known as Conversion Hotel (Nov 19-21, NL)
💬 Quote of the week
“Always make sure you’re doing little experiments every day to move yourself forward on the things you’re interested in.” — James Altucher
😉 Fun of the week
🙏 Thanks for reading
If you’re enjoying the Experimental Mind newsletter you can buy me a coffee or beer. Much appreciated.
And share this email with a friend or colleague. I would love this community of experimenters to grow. You can point them here to subscribe.
Have a great week — and keep experimenting.
ps. if you have any feedback simply reply or click the thumbs up/down.