Hi, I have selected 5 articles for this week’s Experimental Mind newsletter. And also don’t forget to take a look at the new job opportunities and upcoming events. Enjoy.
📰 What I’ve been reading this week
Gagan Biyani explains why traditional MVP’s can lead founders astray. And he outlines a 3-step framework for developing a Minimum Viable Test:
- Find your value proposition
- List your risky assumptions
- Test the atomic unit
The Wall Street Journal published a powerful multi-part series on the company this week, drawing from internal documents on everything from the company’s secretive practice of whitelisting celebrities to its knowledge that Instagram is taking a serious toll on the mental health of teen girls.
The question is: what will they do about it, now Facebook knows this?
Learn the build vs. buy framework to consider opportunity costs and make an informed decision on whether to buy or build a custom solution.
Good post from Benn Stancil about the dismantling of Business Intelligence tools, what they actually are and should be.
BI tools should aspire to do one thing, and do it completely: They should be the universal tool for people to consume and make sense of data. If you—an analyst, an executive, or any person in between—have a question about data, your BI tool should have the answer
Sophia Yang walks you through some of the popular variance reduction methods in online experimentation.
Richard Thaler’s book ‘Nudge’ was first published in 2008. With the publication of a new, radically updated edition, Thaler tries to persuade Stephen Dubner that nudging is more relevant today than ever.
🚀 Job opportunities
This week’s featured jobs:
- Data Scientist at Bellingcat, Remote EU
- Experimentation & Causal Inference Intern at Netflix, Los Gatos US
- Head of Experimentation at Zalando, Berlin
- CRO Specialist at KPN, Amsterdam
- Technical Director Experimentation at EA Sports, Redwood/Remote US
- Sr. Product Manager Experimentation at Hula, Remote US
And don’t forget to check out the other 18 opportunities on the job board. Are you hiring? Simply add the vacancy to the board.
📅 Upcoming events
This is a running list of upcoming events:
- NEW Experimentation Culture (Sep 23, online, free)
- MeasureSummit 2021 (Sep 28-Oct 1, online)
- Experiment Nation: The Conference (Sep 29, online)
- NEW DDMA Dutch CRO Awards (Nov 4, Amsterdam)
- MIT Conference on Digital Experimentation (Nov 4-5, online)
- The Conference formerly known as Conversion Hotel (Nov 19-21, NL)
💬 Quote of the week
The key to good problem solving is a willingness to try things, experiment thoughtfully, and do the work. — James Clear
😉 Fun of the week
Why do we track so many metrics? (by Work Chronicles)
🙏 Are you enjoying this newsletter?
Thanks for reading. If you’re enjoying the Experimental Mind newsletter you can support me and my family with a donation to the study fund for our two kids. Much appreciated.
And share this email with a friend or colleague. I would love this community of experimenters to grow. You can point them here to subscribe.
Have a great week — and keep experimenting.
ps. if you have any feedback simply reply or click the thumbs up/down.